Struggles Before Getting to Youth Reload ‘Justice League’

October 7, 2011.I anticipated the weather. I was thinking of the rain that time. The sun was bright until noon but was slowly covered with grimy cloud in the afternoon. I was excited for the event in the evening. Even the cloud was about to give an intensive rain, still me and other leaders who were also excited were positive.

The day before 7th of October, we had our meeting to finalize all the things that should be prepared. We did not expect an unfavorable weather due to the excitement.

Fast forward to October 7, we decided to get jeepneys to pick our first timers at school by 2 pm. Before the first jeepney arrived, the cloud poured out his tears, weighty cry. All the first timers were waiting at Engineering building to be picked up by the first jeepney. Unmindful of the rain, they delightedly got inside. After the jeepney started its ride to the venue (Precious International School of Davao-Matina, Davao City), the second jeepney arrived. The leaders were the second batch with some first timers. During this time, we already got wet and almost took a bath by rain water, myself included. After getting inside, we were already at the school’s main gate when one of the leaders called my attention and requested my favor to pick his spiritual sons with some first timers. Without hesitation, I jumped out from the vehicle. I was in the middle of the road and automobiles were passing by. The water from flood started to get in my shoes. Like God, I could also feel water flood’s presence. Hahaha.

I picked them up in their boarding house and, together with them, we were waiting outside for the third jeepney. After approximately 20 minutes, it arrived. We got inside and went to school for other leaders and first timers. (Fast forward). The jeepney was already on its maximum passengers’ capacity so I and Gus and his invites decided to get another jeepney. The flood was almost knee level. We tried to get a jeepney and got nothing. All public utility vehicles had all their seats occupied. I was about to cry thinking that we could never get to the event. I was thinking that Praise and Worship (my second favorite part of the event next to the ministry of the word) was over.

We decided to get a jeepney at Agdao having an idea that some PUJs there are empty. Six of us took a motorcycle From school’s gate 2 to Agdao. We took Stella Maris route. The flood level was above the knee. Because we only took motorcycle, private vehicles bigger than ours were moving in opposite direction. Just because they were moving in a slow pace due to the flood, they accelerated their speed producing a wave causing us “mapiskan’. Tsk. Tsk. Basa jud kayo ko ato nga time na mura nko’g gilangoy ang above the knee na flood.Hahahaha

We successfully hired an empty jeepney to take us to the event. (Fast forward). It took us 30 minutes to get to the venue. When we arrived (almost 8pm), I was happy because PAW has just ended.

I was happy because I was with my spiritual father and one of my spiritual brothers. Even other spiritual brothers of mine were not able to be there, still happiness was observable in me.

I got at my boarding house at around 12 am. My shoes were still consumed with flood water. Still, I was happy. Whew!

Struggles did really define my commitment. Without struggles, my commitment to God would be weak.

Honestly, it was my first time to experience such struggle. And I should thank God for letting me understand the importance of struggles in life. It is by struggles that my faith is measured. It is by struggles that I am still here and still on His side. And it is also by struggles that I grow as a pure and true Christian.




Photos credit to Kim Lodovice Legara Alberastine

No comments:

Post a Comment